Beta: Latest Build of Viscosity for Mac

Viscosity Menu Icon Packs, Two-Factor Scripts, & OpenVPN Config Tool

James

Post by James » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 am
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like Viscosity didn't correctly upgrade the old connection order to the new format correctly. I'll look into it.

In the meantime deleting Viscosity's prefs file, or running the following command in the Terminal, should get you going again:
defaults delete com.viscosityvpn.Viscosity ConnectionOrder

Cheers,
James
Web: https://www.sparklabs.com
Support: https://www.sparklabs.com/support
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sparklabs

Root

Post by Root » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:36 pm
James wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like Viscosity didn't correctly upgrade the old connection order to the new format correctly. I'll look into it.

In the meantime deleting Viscosity's prefs file, or running the following command in the Terminal, should get you going again:
defaults delete com.viscosityvpn.Viscosity ConnectionOrder

Cheers,
James
Thank you for the tip; that allowed me to successfully start Viscosity. I was prompted to authenticate as an administrator so it could make changes (like normal) and was subsequently able to access the the Viscosity menu bar icon and drop-down menu to open its preferences. I don't recall if when I first started the new version it asked me to authenticate as an administrator; it may have, but I do not remember this specific detail with certainty. :|

I noticed that the folder created earlier was nonexistent and the duplicated connection was missing both copies; however, I was able to restore from a backup of the duplicated connection that was exported before attempting to delete anything.

I had no difficulty reorganizing the two connections into a folder or submenu, and, subsequently, I was able to successfully connect and utilize my VPN connection using the new 1.2b3 version of Viscosity.

Thank you for assisting via the forums; your support is greatly appreciated. :)

DasFox

Post by DasFox » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:18 pm
Hi James,

I'm running SL 10.6.7 and I just installed Version 1.3b11 and my VPN gave me a .config file to use, which I saw when I installed 1.2 became associated with Viscosity so that all I had to do was click it and it gets added into Viscosity.

Well when I clicked the config file with Version 1.3b11 installed it does nothing, the VPN information doesn't get loaded.

So I tried this a few ways.

1. I clicked the config file with Viscosity running showing in the taskbar.
2. I clicked the config file Viscosity was not showing/running in the taskbar.
3. I rebooted and then tried these steps over, with no success...

When I click the config file and Viscosity is not in the taskbar, clicking the config file however launches Viscosity making it appear, but that's all...

THANKS

DasFox

Post by DasFox » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:17 am
Clicking my config file does nothing, it's not being imported into 1.3b11...

So I uninstalled 1.3b11 and reinstalled 1.2 and then clicked my config and imported it, then uninstalled 1.2 and reinstalled 1.3b11 and then my config settings were in place...

Also leaving Viscosity in the menu, but not connected to a VPN and logging in and out of OS X caused my Eth0 connection in the System Preferences to disconnect and I had to restart to get it back...

Also when I installed Growl and then tried to connect I kept getting a popup from Viscosity in the middle of the screen and then one from Growl about not being able to connect because my connection was down, but it was active, so I restarted and it then worked. So seems to be a problem installing Growl for the first time with the beta getting online if you don't restart the system, or maybe logging out might of worked...

Also I've been using a VPN with the same company for the past 2 months and it's always been the same IP, then the first time I start the beta I have a different IP from the server, so I don't know if it's just coincidence that this happened, or the beta is causing some sort of routing issue causing the VPN server to assign me a different IP.

Another thing, I wouldn't call this a bug, rather a preference if we can get an option for this. The Growl notification showed my connection to the Client IP of 10.x.x.x and honestly I think for most people, they are going to want to see the actual IP (Server) they are being assigned not the Client, so maybe we can get a preference added into Viscosity to allow you to pick which IP you want shown in the Growl notification...

THANKS James :)

P.S. I had to uninstall 1.3b11 it kept crashing my connection and bringing it down and the only way I could get it back was by restarting OS X... :(

James

Post by James » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:49 pm
Hi DasFox,

There are a couple of known issues with the current beta build posted online. It sounds like you've run into one of them: Viscosity may nuke your system-set DNS servers if you have none specified for your VPN connection. This makes it seem like your computer has lost its network connection. A restart or a DHCP renewal fixes it.

We've already got a build that fixes this issue, however we're just waiting for some new features to be finished off and some additional testing from our end before posting it to this thread.

Cheers,
James

MGU

Post by MGU » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:03 am
James wrote:
Hi DasFox,

There are a couple of known issues with the current beta build posted online. It sounds like you've run into one of them: Viscosity may nuke your system-set DNS servers if you have none specified for your VPN connection. This makes it seem like your computer has lost its network connection. A restart or a DHCP renewal fixes it.

We've already got a build that fixes this issue, however we're just waiting for some new features to be finished off and some additional testing from our end before posting it to this thread.

Cheers,
James
Just a quick question. I specifically bought a license to test the new split-dns functionality that should be in 1.3. Is it already available in the current builds? For me either my standard DNS Server is used, or the one specified, no split configuration is possible.

/Mike

DasFox

Post by DasFox » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:18 am
James wrote:
Hi DasFox,

Cheers,
James

Ok and I submitted a bug report over in the Support section with 1.2.3 giving me connectivity issues as well, so hopefully this will be worked out for this version...

James

Post by James » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 am
Hi Mike,

The complete rewrite of the DNS system for 1.3 brings us closer to supporting split-DNS and lays the groundwork we need to properly support it, however I'm afraid it's still not fully implemented yet. For now you'll need to use scripting as outlined in this thread.

Cheers,
James

MGU

Post by MGU » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:51 am
James wrote:
Hi Mike,

The complete rewrite of the DNS system for 1.3 brings us closer to supporting split-DNS and lays the groundwork we need to properly support it, however I'm afraid it's still not fully implemented yet. For now you'll need to use scripting as outlined in this thread.

Cheers,
James
Thanks for the info. I created my own script in the meantime which seems to work ok there is no "Use alternate DNS support" function available in 1.3 though.
My main issue right now with 1.3 is that the DNS entries are flushed on disconnect so I have to renew the lease here. But as you said this is fixed already.

isie2Xo

Post by isie2Xo » Sun May 15, 2011 1:14 am
saw this coincidentally, is it bad? idk… :

% ps axo stat,pid,ppid,comm G '^Z'
Z 210 181 (Little Snitch UI)
Z 87916 87912 (chown)
Z 87920 87912 (chmod)
Z 87921 87912 (chown)
Z 87922 87912 (chmod)
Z 87923 87912 (chown)
Z 87924 87912 (chmod)
Z 88405 87912 (ViscosityHelper)