Menu icon in El Capitan 10.11

Got a problem with Viscosity or need help? Ask here!

bhosadda

Post by bhosadda » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:34 am
Earlier today I upgraded from Viscosity 1.6.8 to 1.7.1, first thing I notice is I can't have the menubar icon on the right side of the menu. Ran a couple google searches, appears the option is incompatible with Sierra, another thread gives Sierra users the workaround code of
Code: Select all
killall Viscosity
defaults write com.viscosityvpn.Viscosity MenuOnRight -bool NO
So I figure I can probably get it back by running the opposite command, and changing the -bool NO to -bool YES
I made sure Viscosity was killed and not running in the background, issue the command but the icon still appears on the left.
I verified that the option was being written by running
defaults read com.viscosityvpn.Viscosity
which confirms
MenuOnRight = 1;
As far as I'm concerned, this is an issue for Sierra 10.12, not El Capitan 10.11, it has been working just fine since day 1 of installing Viscosity. No intention of upgrading to Sierra, seems a rather stupid idea talking to Siri rather than issuing commands myself and getting things done quicker.
Definitely no stranger to the Terminal, is there a workaround or even a hackish way that I can get the menu icon back on the right side? I'd rather not downgrade versions as there are some important updates to various components, OpenSSL, OpenVPN, etc. with the updated versions, after all we're talking about a security oriented application.
I prefer keeping it on the right side, it's the first place I look when waking machine, or switching locations, on the left side is where all my other "junk" is; unfortunately with El Capitan the icon can -not- be repositioned by holding down Command, like with the built-in Apple icons.
I even tried editing the Info.plist inside the package, they key "DTSDKName" to 10.11 from its default 10.12 value, and rechecking the Preferences, but nada.
What can I do to get that icon back on the right side other than downgrade Viscosity, or upgrade macOS, as neither are acceptable solutions. Thanks.
1 post Page 1 of 1