Viewing the Console Log
The Console log often contains error messages or warnings from Viscosity or OpenVPN when a problem occurs. If you are experiencing trouble using Viscosity or connecting, and no helpful information can be found in the OpenVPN log (or it can't be accessed), then you should check the Console log.
You can access the Console log like so:
- Open the Console application. This can be found at /Applications/Utilities/Console.app
- Click the "Show Log List" toolbar icon
- Select the "All Messages" item (located under "DATABASE SEARCHES" from the menu that appears).
- Console log messages can be found in the section to the right.
- Quit Console from the File menu when finished
It is important to note that the Console log displays messages from all applications, not just Viscosity. You can use the "Filter" field to the top right-hand corner of the window to just display results related to Viscosity. Type "Viscosity" into the filter to see messages from Viscosity, or type "openvpn" to see messages from the OpenVPN subsystem.
You may be asked to provide messages from your Console log to support staff. To select a message simply click on it to select it, and then use the Edit menu to copy it (so you can paste it into a email). You can also select multiple messages by holding down the Command Key (to select multiple individual messages) or the Shift Key (to select multiple messages in a row).