Error: Cannot load certificate file cert.crt
If OpenVPN is unable to open the CA, Certificate, or Key files specified for your connection it will display an error message in the log similar to "Cannot load certificate file cert.crt".
Such an error indicates that the file is not a valid certificate or key file. The most common cause of this error is getting the CA, Certificate, and Key files mixed up when entering them into Viscosity. The simplist way to check for, and fix, this is like so:
- Open Viscosity's Preferences window and make sure the Connections toolbar icon is selected.
- Select your connection and click the Edit button.
- Click on the Certificates tab.
- Click the "Clear" button next to each of the relevant fields.
- Click the "Select" button next to each of the just-cleared fields, select the original corresponding file supplied by your VPN administrator, and then click the Open button. If you are unsure which file to select for which field you should contact your system administrator.
- When finished click the Save button.
If the error message still appears after following the above steps, the file is not a valid certificate/key file. In this case you should contact your VPN administrator and ask for the files to be resent.