Split DNS Issues...I need it backwards I think

Got a problem with Viscosity or need help? Ask here!

ciphershort

Post by ciphershort » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:12 am
I understand that the split DNS feature is for when domains are pushed FROM the VPN server. My case, however, is a bit backwards. Let me explain...

I live on a university campus that blocks/flags various things on the internet that annoys me. So I got a VPN subscription to get around that. Only issue is that I need to to be able to get to certain things via my local campus network. I know the campus public IP range and so I've created routes in Viscocity to the public range, as well as all private ranges. Everything was working great, until I started having weird DNS issues with Split DNS turned on. Certain things over the internet stopped resolving until I turned DNS back to Full.

What I need to be able to do is define my LOCAL domain (college.edu) and have everything in that domain use my campus DNS servers and everything else use the VPN DNS. This configuration seems to be a bit backwards from what I've read online. Is there a way to do this with Viscocity?

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:15 am
Hi ciphershort,

I'm afraid this isn't something that Viscosity supports. Your best bet is to go to Preferences -> Advanced, tick "Use Windows DNS System for Full DNS" and then use Full DNS for your connection. What this will do is use the Windows race system, but keep in mind most DNS requests will be sent over both your VPN and local network, the first to reply is what Windows will use. This will create DNS leaks if you are worried about this.

Something like what you have described has been requested before and is on our feature list, we will look into it in the near future.

Regards,
Eric
Eric Thorpe
Viscosity Developer

Web: http://www.sparklabs.com
Support: http://www.sparklabs.com/support
Twitter: http://twitter.com/sparklabs

ciphershort

Post by ciphershort » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:42 am
Eric wrote:
Hi ciphershort,

I'm afraid this isn't something that Viscosity supports. Your best bet is to go to Preferences -> Advanced, tick "Use Windows DNS System for Full DNS" and then use Full DNS for your connection. What this will do is use the Windows race system, but keep in mind most DNS requests will be sent over both your VPN and local network, the first to reply is what Windows will use. This will create DNS leaks if you are worried about this.

Something like what you have described has been requested before and is on our feature list, we will look into it in the near future.

Regards,
Eric
Thanks for the reply! Ok I know I couldn't figure out a way to do what I was wanting so I didn't think it was possible. I'm very happy to know that it's on the list though. My problem with using local DNS, is some online domains are blocked via DNS locally which makes my life annoying. For now, I can just toggle the VPN when I need to use local domain resources.

For what it's worth, I love your product and have purchased it for both my Windows and Mac systems. Having an understanding of networking, I love being in control of what goes where. I look forward to the future improvements you guys will make the software!
3 posts Page 1 of 1