Features Request

Suggestions/comments/criticisms are welcome here

yamaha

Post by yamaha » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:10 pm
Hi,
Viscosity is great, but I've got some features which I think will make it the best.
First off, there should be an option to make Username, and password common for a set of connections, so you don't have to type it for every connection. Second, viscosity's details panel is great, but it's just too much effort to click "Details..." from drop down menu, especially for me as I have a long list of servers. So perhaps a keyboard shortcut, to show/hide it would be nice, or may be just right-click on the viscosity's menu bar button (bcz it currently does the same thing as left-click). It'd also be nice for the detail panel to open, when a connection is started for few seconds so you can see the IP changed or why it's not connecting. Thirdly, when connected, that server should at the top of the list in drop down menu, so it's quicker to disconnect and don't have find it. I have servers arranged in folder, so if I don't remember then it can take a while to find it. Also, it should remember a list of recent connections, so you can switch between them. Perhaps something like in Tunnelblick (see the image attached); when you hover over the icon, it shows panels of recent connections, and you can connect/disconnect from them. Lastly, I know that it shows notifications when dis/connected, but a option for sound notification would be nice too. When it disconnects unexpectedly i.e. not done by user.
Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 09.43.42.png
Tunnelblick recent connections
Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 09.43.42.png (88.53 KiB) Viewed 10635 times
There are two bugs, I've noticed, they aren't breaking but still would be nice to get it fixed. First, when you click the icon, while it's connecting it'll stop the indication (the "loading circle"). So it looks like it's not connecting anymore. Second one is, I can't get the IP to show in the menu, even though I have it checked in preferences.

I know Viscosity hasn't been update since October 2014, so I thought just to put it out there for the dev's to keep in mind. These features should be easy to implement, as it's just UI. Viscosity does have nice features, but if they aren't easily accessible then it's as bad as having none. So, I find myself going back to Tunnelblick, even though that's very basic, but it's easy to use. I'd also recommend the dev's to install Tunnelblick themselves, and see how they've implemented these features, so perhaps you could improve upon them.

James

Post by James » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:18 pm
Hi yamaha,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
I know Viscosity hasn't been update since October 2014
We've actually had several releases since then. Please see:
http://www.sparklabs.com/viscosity/releasenotes/

Cheers,
James
Web: https://www.sparklabs.com
Support: https://www.sparklabs.com/support
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sparklabs

yamaha

Post by yamaha » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:21 am
James wrote:
We've actually had several releases since then. Please see:
http://www.sparklabs.com/viscosity/releasenotes/
Hey James,
Sorry about that, guess should have looked more into it. I just saw the last blog post and assumed that was the last update. My sincerest apologies. Thanks for the reply, and reading the feature request. Hope to see the features implemented.
Cheers

julis

Post by julis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:17 am
I second this:
yamaha wrote:
there should be an option to make Username, and password common for a set of connections, so you don't have to type it for every connection.
Additionally it would be nice to specify specific rules for several connection in one go. For example to apply the routing technique to prevent DNS leaks to multiple connections. Currently it's quite a thing to apply this settings to a bunch of connections (30+).

This is what I mean with DNS leak: Preventing Network and DNS Traffic Leaks:
  • From the Viscosity menu select Preferences to open Viscosity's Preferences window.
    Select your connection from the Connections list and click the Edit button.
    Click on the Networking tab. In the Routing area click on the small "+" button to add a new route.
    Enter "0.0.0.0" into the "Destination" field and "0.0.0.0" into the "Mask/Bits" field. If you are routing just single IP addresses the Mask field can be left blank.
    Select "VPN Gateway" from the Gateway menu.
    Click the Add button to add the route.
    Click on the Advanced tab. On a new line in the advanced commands area enter "remap-usr1 SIGTERM" (without quotes).
    Click the Save button.
yamaha wrote:
when connected, that server should at the top of the list in drop down menu, so it's quicker to disconnect and don't have find it.
That's something that has been annoying for me ever since. Would appreciate this very much.

Thirdly, there should be a better setting which connections should be run with the start of Viscosity. Mentioned this in another thread already, but a setting to connect to one (or more) connections randomly at the start of Viscosity is what I anticipate.
4 posts Page 1 of 1